Cinemascope - Independent Film Journal
www.cinemascope.it

Issue 8
Spring Issue 2007

URBAN FRA(G)ME(NT)S:
CINEMA AND CITY

CALL FOR PAPERS
Please, send your proposals to [log in to unmask]

 From the beginning, cinema has always presented the city, showing places,
representing cultures, people and ways of life. But a movie doesn’t restrict
itself to showing something: it becomes part of what it presents, it spreads
in its own way particular city images and cultural stereotypes, and the
audience is called to compare their urban models with the landscape depicted
on the screen. Once this premise is accepted, we can easily recognize the
relation between cinema and city as a focal points opened to multiple
intepretations and theoretical developments.
The eightieth issue of Cinemascope – Independent Film Journal will deal with
these topics, and proposals must not be limited to, but may concern any of
the following questions:

 -	How cinema and the city depend on each other?
 -	How the cinema affects our urban imagery and space perception?
 -	How the changes brought on by the city development affects film style?
 -	How the cinema has changed/is changing the reality of the city?
 -	What of the reality of the city is it that only the cinema can uncover?

We intentionally propose to leave out topics concerning solely narrative
functions of the city on film (e.g. the city in relation with the story, the
characters, etc.), and, on contrary, to include focal issues exploring more
dynamically the relationship between cinema and city.

Information:
Deadline for proposals: April 10, 2007
Notice of acceptance of proposals by Cinemascope: April 20, 2007
Reception of articles: May 20, 2007
Max length of articles: max 5000 words
Abstract: 150 words
Issue Editor: Massimiliano Gaudiosi
Editorial Board: Frank Coffey, Mariangela Fornaro
Language: English

Information and contacts: [log in to unmask]

*
*
Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon.
**