i’m sorry that this is getting tiresome, but – while largely agreeing with every specific thing that andrew browne says --  i need to point out once more that he’s talking about the BRAIN and freud was talking about the MIND . . . asking a cognitive psychologist or, even worse, a pharmacologist to explain guilt makes as much sense as asking a chemist to explain beauty

freud may be all wrong – and if he let’s say so – but the questions he asked are not the ones that cognitivists are even trying to answer . . . and if we think those questions worth asking [i do] then we have to look to the analysis of the human mind and human consciousness for answers

From: Film-Philosophy Salon [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Andrew Browne
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 5:14 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Freud, let's move on

No-one is trying to ‘trash’ Freud. If anything my original e-mail was seeking to ‘trash’ film academics and their use of outdated Freudian concepts (so there !).

Psychology is advancing at an exponential rate. We all know the examples : Pharmacology has shown that mood states are linked to neurotransmitters /hormones.  Neuro-scientists are able to map the brain and identify what happens during thought identifying the locations of functions and the presence of neurons that are linked to emotions such as guilt or empathy (the ‘mirror neuron’). At the same time, DNA research has begun to show the importance of hereditary factors and how cultural responses are inflected by evolution.

My point is that film academics cling to Freudian theories, despite the fact that most psychologists have long moved on and Freud’s theories have by and large been shown to be at odds with reality. As indeed has the society that Freud knew. Alone in the introspective world that is film studies is Freud still trotted out to identify Oedipal relationships, superego conflicts, fetishism etc.

The suggestion has been made that despite this dislocation from reality, Freudian analysis is still useful as an analytical tool in film studies.  Also some of you feel that Freud had a significant impact on Hollywood films. Well of course the folk in Hollywood were aware of Freud and one or two may even have read a book of his. He was of course a cause celebre when he visited America. However, most ‘Freudian influence’ is projected onto a film by academics. It is not ‘in’ the film - it is in the mind of the academic.

Polemically yours,

Andrew Browne

* * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon. After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to. To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] For help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon. ** * * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon. After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to. To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] For help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon. **