andrew browne’s very reasonable but, i think, off base message deserves a more thorough response than i can possibly give here, but i think that one aspect of this complex question might be addressed, and that aspect hinges on two related but far from synonymous terms that andrew uses:  he talks both about “psychological theory” and “philosophical concepts” and, in a related binary, about the brain and the mind . . . the mind is the seat of the phenomenological concepts of both self and world that are the tools through which we experience the world, and as a result of which we develop philosophical concepts;  the brain is a material organ in which lots of chemical and electro-neurological events take place to which we have no direct access . . . thus to tell me that when i feel love it is simply because  certain chemical or neurological events in the brain are occurring is to tell me noting useful, however accurate it may be . . .  an attempt to EXPLAIN the experience of love rather than provide an account of the brain events that cause that experience has to find a different discourse

this is not to defend any specific claims made by freud, or by contemporary followers of freud . . . it is merely to say that if we want to discredit freud we’ll need to do it by coming to grips with what andrew calls his “abstruse philosophical concepts” and not just by saying that philosophical concepts have nothing to tell us when we can explain everything by analysing the activity of the brain

mike

From: Film-Philosophy Salon [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Andrew Browne
Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2007 2:19 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Freud and Film Studies

The recent Hitchcock/Freud discussion raises a number of points. One that springs to mind is why Film Studies still pays reverence to Freudian theories and structures when they have been so long nuanced, if not challenged or even discredited, within Psychology itself. It is an example of a wider problem that many film academics are somehow caught in a time-slip when using inter-disciplinary approaches.

In the mid 1950s clinical psychologists began to develop cognitive approaches to understanding how the brain worked. This followed a number of clinical research results that contradicted Freudian theory and a growing feeling that Freud's approach to emotions - that they were somehow an aberration resulting from cogintive imbalance - was simplistic.  Development of Freudian psychological theory, by Lacan and Klein amongst others, had led to psychological theory that was almost impenetrable with its abstruse philosophical concepts. With the advances in neuro-psychology and brain mapping generally, we have moved on a great deal in our understanding of how the brain processes information.

Freudian structures are good fun and, like any structure, they can be forced to fit any situation.However, Freud is seen by most psychologists as a quaint but respected founder of their science. To quote him would be similar to film writers quoting Melies.

Andrew Browne

* * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon. After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to. To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] For help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon. ** * * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon. After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to. To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] For help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon. **