The discussion of Hitchcock and Freud seems awfully vague -- saying Hitchcock
"studied Freud in the 1940s" sounds like he spent a decade immersed in the
psychoanalytic lit, which is most unlikely -- but simply saying he read Freud
could mean anything from skimming a couple of essays to poring over various
books for weeks or months or more. My feeling is that Hitch was well-read (if not
as profoundly so as Adrian suggests) and intellectually curious and very, very
smart -- and beyond that it's hard to be certain, since he did keep his own
counsel in such matters. (If you're out there, Sid Gottlieb, maybe you can
offer some specifics on this, given your intimacy with Hitch's own writing?) More
broadly, studio-era filmmakers (and some since) have definitely found it
politic to play dumb, or at least "average," in the intellect department. Peter
Bogdanovich's fine doc "Directed by John Ford" turns Ford's reticence into a very
funny trope, showing Ford yelling "Cut!" every time Peter comes within
hailing distance of an "intellectual" question. I remember Otto Preminger being very
coy about questions or observations he found too "brainy" for comfort --
ditto for George Cukor and others I've interviewed. As for JLG, many of his works
(strong examples include "JLG/JLG" and the "Histoire[s] du cinema" series) are
so crammed with verbal (and visual) quotes (and allusions) that multiple
viewings are needed just to absorb all the manifest content; on the flip side, he
can be elusive as well -- for just one example, I don't recall him speaking
much about Francoise Dolto's influence on "Je vous salut Marie." Go figure.

David Sterritt, PhD

Chairman, National Society of Film Critics
Professor Emeritus of Theater and Film
    Long Island University
Programming Associate
    Makor/Steinhardt Center of the 92nd Street Y

1 East Chase Street, Suite 501-502, Baltimore, MD 21202-2574
410-385-0123

 AOL now offers free email
to everyone.  Find out more about what's free from AOL at http://www.aol.com.

*