Thanks very much for pointing that out. I must admit that I personally respond much more favorably to various psychoanalytic approaches than Bordwell's cognitivism. Given the way that mirror neurons work at a more or less unconscious level, perhaps they might provide some way to usefully reconcile the two approaches by linking our cognitive responses to images with our (sexual, cultural, political, etc.) unconscious desires.

David Church

Adrian Martin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Uncanny! (The Freudian uncanny??) There happens to be a comment on
mirror neurons in relation to viewer identification that I just
stumbled upon at David Bordwell's fascinating blog site (in the entry
on UNITED 93):

http://www.davidbordwell.net/blog/

But all this cognitivism is depressing me (quick, give me a pill).
Bring back Freud! All hail the unconscious!!

Adrian

*
*
Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon.
**

TV dinner still cooling?
Check out "Tonight's Picks" on Yahoo! TV. * * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon. After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to. To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] For help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon. **