Warren Buckland wrote:

> .... it was Metz who cleared up the confusion created by=20
> the previous generation of film theorists.>
> Metz called his early collection *Essais sur la signification au=20
> cinema*, and it was the English translator who imposed the title *Film=20
> Language*.

The original French title of the collection cannot absolve Metz from the
"guilt" of throwing film theory into irrelevant issues, coming from a search
for a direct resemblance between patterns of film articulation and
linguistics. A simple illustration of such irrelevant issues is his
wondering whether a shot is the equivalent of a word or a sentence, whether
a gun of the screen means "a gun" or "here is a gun" ("un pistolet" ou
"voici un pistolet"), instead of comprehending that the cinematographic
reproduction of an object has no meaning other than being such
reproduction, which acquires significance only according to its placement
along other images on the screen, in a dynamic flow that produces meaning,
within a system of abstraction, which is very far from language and
linguistics.

Haim