Apologies for cross-posting.

I have a question for Hitchcock and James Whale experts. In The Birds
(1963), the famous quick triple cut-in on the pecked-out eyes of the
farmer are sometimes considered as Hitch's homage to Welles' Touch of
Evil. I have noticed, however, that James Whale already uses this
device in Frankenstein (1932) for the monster's first appearance,
and, with a slight variation, in The Invisible Man (1933), upon the
stranger's first entry into the pub in act one. So: would it be
possible that Hitch was paying homage not to Welles but to Whale?

All suggestions are highly appreciated!

Henry

*
*