Dear Ben

This is an interesting project. John Donne said, 'No man is an island', but
the
makers of 'Zidane: a 21st century portrait' seem to have had the explicit
intent of contradicting this by 'isolating' Zidane on camera, ie making him
into an
island. This seems to be an especially odd view to take of a footballer
who has to play with 10 other players in a team, and doubly odd because
Zidane's genius as a footballer, apart from his technical skill,
has been to be so tactically aware of how he might link up with other
players, an awareness that puts him ahead of the 21 other players on the
pitch.

Unless there is an interview with Zidane in which he explicitly endorses the
film as a true picture of him as a person and footballer - in which case I
am completely nonplussed! - I think it utterly failed to do justice
both to him as a footballer and someone with an interesting life, full of
difficulties surmounted.

I don't think he's a hero, but he is a multi-facetted human being.
Despite having 17 (I think) cameras filming the
football match, the film-makers either did not capture the incident leading
to his red card with a nearby camera , or deliberately chose to obscure what
happens by only showing it in a very
long distance shot so that it was virtually uninterpretable. One might call
it his Meursault moment, but I suspect it was much more complex. Also,
Meursault is a character in fiction so the author can invent motive or lack
of motive, but Zidane is real flesh and blood and entitled to be treated
with respect.

Me, I'm with John Donne.

Tim Cawkwell
Norwich, UK