Whether of not Freud has been superceded (I think he has, everyone is, but I
certainly would not trash him, and not only because I think we need
empirical brain and phenomenological mind descriptions of the same events,
but because his is a remarkable and by no means thoroughly superceded
contribution to psychology) I would have thought that Freud and quasi-Freud
and mock-Freud and anti-Freud and pseudo-Fread were all part of the 'common
sense' of modernism, so it is pretty important to appreciate that a lot, the
lot, of the art of the (not so distant) 20 century (Hitchcock clearly)  has
a Freudian provenance.

Ross

*
*