-----Original Message-----
From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Robert (Bob) Waixel
Sent: 02 March 2007 12:09
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [data-protection] Access to computer log-in
details[Scanned]

Wouldnt this be part of standard 'educational purposes' for which you
are undoubtedly already registered?
BoB Waixel.

Samantha Hill wrote:

>Dear All
>
>I would appreciate your comments on a question that has arisen here.
>
>A lecturer has requested the log-in records for students to a
particular
>computing system as he believes there will be a correlation between
recent
>poor exam results and the amount of times the students have accessed
this
>computer system.  In providing the log-in records we would be
disclosing
>the personal data of the students as I think the purpose is to be able
>say Student A accessed the system once for 5 minutes and got 10%
whereas
>Student B accessed the system 10 times for an hour each time and got
70%.

>As far as I can find out we have not told the students that we will be
>doing this, nor that the findings will be discussed with the external
>examiner who is bound to question the low marks, so I have problems
with
>disclosing the student's personal data - unless the sixth condition of
>Schedule 2, that the processing is necessary for the purposes of
>legitimate interests of the data controller, can be used.
>
>I would be grateful for comments on whether this processing would be
>considered a legitimate purpose and/ or others experience of a similar
>situation.
>
>Thanks very much
>
>Samantha Hill
>University of Portsmouth
>
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>     All archives of messages are stored permanently and are
>      available to the world wide web community at large at
>      http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/data-protection.html
>     If you wish to leave this list please send the command
>       leave data-protection to [log in to unmask]
>All user commands can be found at
> Any queries about sending or receiving messages please send to the
list owner
>  Full help Desk - please email [log in to unmask] describing your
needs
>        To receive these emails in HTML format send the command:
>         SET data-protection HTML to [log in to unmask]
>   (all commands go to [log in to unmask] not the list please)
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

-- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-- Unencrypted Email is an insecure communications medium,
-- so be aware that any correspondence may possibly be viewed
-- by others en route.
--
-- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-- Robert (Bob) Waixel	CITP, MBCS, MCInstM, ILTM
-- Snr. Lecturer  - Dept. of Computing
--       Pathway Leader - Joint Honours (Computing - Cambridge)
--       AP(E)L adviser - (Computing - Cambridge)
--
-- Faculty of Science and Technology
-- Room BRY 112,   Bryant Building,
-- Anglia Ruskin University,            Tel:   +44 (0) 1223 363271 x
2342
-- East Road, 				Direct Dial    0845 196 2342
-- Cambridge, CB1 1PT,  UK              Fax:   +44 (0) 1223 417712
--                                      email: <[log in to unmask]>
-- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-- Emailing from Home
--
--  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
-- To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

All user commands can be found at
 Any queries about sending or receiving messages please send to the list
owner
  Full help Desk - please email [log in to unmask] describing your
needs
If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and
all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and
notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose,
intended recipient. The Northern Ireland Guardian ad Litem Agency
reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its
networks. Recipients should also be aware that all e-mails received by
the Northern Ireland Guardian ad Litem Agency are subject to the Freedom
of Information Act 2000 and therefore may be disclosed to a third party.
except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised
to state them to be the views of any such entity.

This e-mail was scanned by Sophos anti-virus software updated on an
hourly basis.
This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. The Northern Ireland Guardian ad Litem Agency reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks. Recipients should also be aware that all e-mails received by the Northern Ireland Guardian ad Litem Agency are subject to the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and therefore may be disclosed to a third party. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of any such entity.

This e-mail was scanned by Sophos anti-virus software updated on an hourly basis.