Dear Kelvin,
I'm on your side when it comes to critique of EMT. It makes the North feel better that they have cleaned-up and 'greened' their industries (to what extent one still wonders?), while other parts of the world like China have to build their economies on relatively cheap and available coal. EMT is highly technocentric and certainly not wider or deeper in its engagements with other issues as you suggest.
In the Channel 4 docu I picked up and paraphrase here the argument that Africa is in part being constrained by semi-environmental orientations, i.e. that Africa being rural, uses up woodfuel (contributing to deforestation) and releases CO2 from the fires (but probably much less than during the Medieval period that Prof Stott was so excited about!). Therefore any aim to get electricity "must not" be based around fossil fuels like coal, and that the continent should opt to use alternative energy sources, e.g. Solar. (In Gokwe, Zimbabwe I had to wait till after 11am till the solar had charged before I could use the Council's telephones. On coudy days ...; and school kids trying to use computers ...!)
So, in part what I was arguing is that the EMT and wider discourse around ('shallow greens') it is in part adding to pressure on Africa. We need to remind our selves that in totals and per capita the CO2 and other greenhouse gas emissions in the North remain significantly higher than in Africa and other parts of the South.

Nick