What also is worrying about the 'environment' debate (although on an ethical-importance scale, far less serious than constraining the development of the world's poorest)
is how in the UK especially the concept of "protecting the environment" has become synonymous with extra taxation burdens and increased government surveillance measures.

If, say, the UK govt was really motivated by green concerns, there would be a balance of stick and carrot. We would have, for example, increased fuel taxes along with subsidies on public transport. We would have road tolls along with incentives for householders and businesses to locate in city/town centres. We would have tax-subsidised low energy light bulbs, along with higher VAT on conventional ones, and council tax rebates on houses with solar panels. Water rates cuts for houses that soaked away their bath water or recycled it into the garden. Taxes on flights balanced by government investment in local UK coastal resorts, and maybe reduced VAT on UK guest house, hotel, rooms.

Where are these 'carrots' ???

By using the stick plus survelliance rather than stick plus carrot, the Uk govt is in danger of
discredting the whole idea of going green, whatever the actual imperatives of doing so.

Hillary Shaw, Newport, Shropshire