Dear all:

It is with great sadness that I must inform you that yesterday in Paris at
age 77, Jean Baudrillard passed away.  He had been ill for some time with
cancer. Our thoughts are with his wife, Marine.

“A friend has died. The death of a friend finds its own justification a
posteriori: it makes the world less liveable, and therefore renders his
absence from this world less painful. It alters the world in such a way
that he would no longer have his place in it. Others outlive themselves
into a world which is no longer theirs. Some know how to slip away at the
apposite moment. Their death is a stroke of cleverness: it makes the world
more enigmatic, more difficult to understand than it was when they were
alive – which is the true task of thought”.  Cool Memories IV (2003: 65).