I've always hated these recommendations to "the poor" as to how they should spend their money (and even whether they are allowed to think of themselves as poor).  How much do a managerial hierarchy of "experts" earn "advising" those without much money how to spend it?

  Out of morbid interest I looked at my household's "modest but adequate" budget (or perhaps one ought to say "freezing and cheerless") and was interested to find that if my partner and I opt for the "food without alcohol" version that will cost us 43.85 pounds a week, whereas the "food with alcohol" will cost us 45.39 - presumably the non-drinkers are encouraged to make up with Mars Bars? We're still expected to cough up our charitable donations, even though we're supposed to be this frugal old retired couple (grateful not to be in separate wings of the workhouse?)

  Pam Shurmer-Smith
  National University of Singapore

Steve Cummins <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Dear John

The Family Budget Unit at York produces 'modest but adequate' and 'low
cost but acceptable' household budgets for a range of family types split
by what is needed by household eg fuel, food, clothing etc..

http://www.york.ac.uk/res/fbu/

Best
Steve

--