Hmmm

I’m very sympathetic to all the points made and the irony of
the obvious alternative to unmindful CBT does not escape me, but I wonder
whether these responses are somewhat reactionary and a knee jerk response
resulting from the lists justified antipathy to the branded therapies.

My understanding of the term mindfulness as it is being
peddled by what we might like to see as the snake oil merchants of the
psychotherapies is that it is derived from ancient mediation and spiritual
traditions such as Daoism and Buddhism. I’m not too familiar with the latter and
only indirectly aware of its practices due to my keen and longstanding interest
in the former and what I understand to be some correspondence between the 2. As
I understand it mindfulness techniques first, or if this is misinformed, most successfully
penetrated Euro-American through the success of DBT, which has been heavily
marketed as the treatment of choice for so-called ‘borderline personality disorder’.
In its form there, mindfulness is derived from zen Buddhist meditation and has
the aim of circumventing an individual’s troubling preoccupation with
past/future and allowing one to live peacefully ‘in the moment’. Now I don’t accept
all this as good uncritically, bear with me - not least because as I understand
it Buddhism, particularly the zen form, substantially rips off the, in my opinion
superior, system of Daoism, but with the added implication of being an
organised religion with connotations of social control (my view on Daoism is
that its beautifully anarchic and has built into its very fabric an ideology
instinctively and materially opposed to any form of social control and order imposed
on one by another).

Now then, back to the present concern – while I say I’m sympathetic
to the points raised, I have known people have ‘had’
DBT and also 'administered' it and found it to have freed them from much suffering, not least because they
have found mindfulness exercises to be a revelation. To borrow ‘embodied brains’
from John Cromby, I wonder how much mindfulness when applied to CBT gets away from
the fallacy of the primacy of thought over feeling – it probably doesn’t yet
say anything , but a logical consequence of the snake oilers meddling with this
is that they will eventually have to call into question the basic and arguable erroneous
first principles of CBT. Surely not a bad thing. Also, if these meditational approaches
(that have stood the test of time longer than recorded history in most parts of
the world) can offer some relief, then why not peddle them? Its all very well
being ‘mindful’ of the toxic impress of malign societal forces, inequality,
oppression and the way the psychotherapies prop up and serve to maintain the
status quo for the profit gods etc., but while liberating to an extent, such discussions
with ‘service users’ who seek some salve for their day to day pain isn’t going
to be of much direct consequence for them, at least immediately. It appears to
me that mindfulness techniques have a place in improving the existential circumstances
of some people, some of the time.

Don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater people. There, you
can now ignore me or rant at will.

Gareth