Dear CCP4bb users,

I would like to thank everyone who answered my question and apologize for
my delay in posting the summary. Here is the question and the answers I
got.

What was the minimun protein concentration reported with success in
crystallization trials?

We've done crystallization at 1.2 mg/ml (which was pushing it for that
protein), and in some cases, depending on protein solubility of course, we
are required to use less than that.  We have a protein that (at the
moment) precipitates at under 1mg/ml.
Gerald Audette

I have one with 1.8 mg/ml but this was not due to solubility issues but
more not enough protein and desperation mode to set up trays :-)
Jürgen Bosch

We have at least 1 example where the protein (a large kinase) crystallizes
at 2-3 mg/ml  but you need seeding
Alexander Pautsch

I have a database of crystallization conditions extracted from the PDB.  I
was able to parse the data to extract the concentration of protein in
around 900 cases.
The lowest 9 protein concentrations were as follows:

PDB ID      TYPE                                  DATE        Protein
conc, mg/ml
1EYM        ISOMERASE.                            07/05/2000  0.75
1ADQ        COMPLEX (IMMUNOGLOBULIN/AUTOANTIGEN)  18/02/1997  1
1W5G        FOUR HELIX BUNDLE.                    06/08/2004  1
1UU4        HYDROLASE.                            15/12/2003  1
1W2U        HYDROLASE.                            08/07/2004  1
1DXP        SERINE PROTEASE.                      13/01/2000  1
1DY8        SERINE PROTEASE.                      18/01/2000  1
1DY9        SERINE PROTEASE.                      31/01/2000  1
1DG6        APOPTOSIS.                            23/11/1999  1.2

The maximum protein conc was 200 mg/ml (1BLF)
My database goes up to October 2004. Janet Newman and Tom Peat have done
this job far more conscientiously and could probably give you better and
more up-to-date data.
Patrick Shaw Stewart

Just to add that in one case we were able to get suitable crystals after
using a protein concentration of as low as 1.5 mg/ml (kapetaniou et al.
Acta Cryst. 2005, F61, 479-481) and microdialysis to slowly remove the
excess of salt. Lower concentrations (0.50-0.75 mg/ml) could also produce
crystals but they were too small.
Tassos Papageorgiou

We have one protein (bacterial antitoxin HigA, 2ICT) that crystallizes in
many conditions (30-40) at 0.3-0.6 mg/ml; the crystals diffract to 1.63 A.
Mark Arbing

Once again, thank you for your answers.

Ronaldo.