I have observed something similar myself using Saint in a Bruker
Smart6K detector and using denzo in lab and syncrotron detectors.
First the I over sigma never really drops to zero, no mater how much
over your real resolution limit you integrate.
Second, if I integrate to the visual resolution limit of, say, 1.5A,
I get nice dataset statistics. If I now re-integrate (and re-scale)
to 1.2A, thus including mostly empty (background) pixels everywhere,
then cut the dataset after scaling to the same 1.5A limit, the
statistics are much worse, booth in I over sigma and Rint. (Sorry, no
numbers here, I tried this sometime ago).
I guess the integration is suffering at profile fitting level while
the scaling suffers from general noise (those weak reflections
between 1.5A and 1.2A will be half of your total data!).
I would be careful to go much over the visual resolution limit.
Jose.

**************************************
Jose Antonio Cuesta-Seijo
Cancer Genomics and Proteomics