Hiya

In PYMOL, you could use the selection feature to select which residues you want to draw surface over (there are some pretty powerful selection syntaxes in this package so could could select your actve site residues in a number of ways - see http://pymol.sourceforge.net/) - then create surface on the selection, then issue

set transparency=0.5

to make it transparent.

I often find with this sort of thing that its easiest to work with two separate copies of the same pdb (with different names of course) - so in your example on one copy you do all the cartoony stuff, and the other the surface work.  This helps avoid the anguished moment when a single click destroys a lot of unsaved fiddly selection....

Cheers

--
Professor James Whisstock
NHMRC Principal Research Fellow / Monash University Senior Logan fellow

Monash University, Clayton Campus, PO Box 13d, VIC, 3800, Australia
+613 9905 3747 (Phone)
+613 9905 4699 (Fax)
+61 418 170 585 (Mobile)