Hi,

Check out this post by Tassos regarding the MATRIX weight http://www.dl.ac.uk/list-archive-public/ccp4bb/2005-10/msg00592.html  Good luck,

Hidong

Leo Chavas <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: CCP4 bulletin board <[log in to unmask]>

03/05/2007 06:27 PM
Please respond to
Leo Chavas <[log in to unmask]>

cc
Subject
Re: [ccp4bb] weighting term in refmac

Dear Li,

   There is a value of weighting term with default 0.3 in refmac5, what is
the exact meaning of it?

You might want to have a look at:
http://www.ccp4.ac.uk/html/refmac5/keywords/xray-principal.html#weig

What is the best value of it for different resolution
data?

I don't know exactly, but I like to use the minimum (0.01) for "bad" data (that is high Rmerge, high mosaicity, low resolution), and slightly higher for "good" data. Anyway, personally, I'm doing several runs with different values of weighting, and check how it affects the geometry (respective rmsd values).

Does it affect the result R value much?

Well yes, if you do distort like hell your protein side chains & atoms, you will have everything that will fit into the electron density, resulting in decreasing largely your stats, but you'll have little biological significance (as an example: using a somehow too high value of weighting, a lys was disrupted in 3 parts, to fit the blobs of density...).

Good luck.
Leo

Chavas Leonard M.G., Ph.D.
Structural Research Center