I could have studied the Crimea for GCSEs in 1994 (didn't as it happened,
but the option was there).  It came into the survey history of medicine I
did do. So I'd agree broadly with Edmund that it's still being covered in
schools (again, whether that means it's "out there" is something else),
though I also agree with Geraldine that the sort of joshing,
1066-and-all-that banter which presumed familiarity with these events has
largely gone from our generation.  That's because we weren't taught history
Whig-fashion, though, which is A Good Thing, no?
As to coinage, I'm fairly fluent in l-s-d.  Shillings survived into my
teenagerhood as 5p pieces, florins as 10p.  I know what guineas, half-crowns
and tanners are; I had grandparents who never fully adapted to
decimalisation.  I'm not sure my students would know, though I don't teach a
lot of prose where these things tend to come up; there's less explicit
economics in poetry.  I note that the Norton Anthology of Eng Lit has an
appendix on British Pre-Decimal Money, but that's for Americans, I've always
assumed.

K.