Dear all,

For info, in case anyone wants to respond to Keira.
Kate

Dear Sir / Madam

 I’m working on a new one-off documentary for BBC4 called, “The Edwardian Family Album”, which forms part of BBC’s Edwardian season.  It will be filmed at Manderston, an Edwardian country estate in the Scottish Borders and will have a similar feel to the “Antiques Roadshow”.  Select members of the public will come along with their items from the Edwardian period and share their stories.

 In addition to this we will be filming 3 short films to insert into the final programme, one of which is “Black Edwardians”.  The purpose of the film is to highlight that there was a significant black presence during the Edwardian period, long before the Windrush Era.

 Our story is strongly based around Canning Town as we are looking for families who had settled in this area between 1901 and 1914.  For example we had been chasing a story of someone who had researched their family history and discovered that their great grandfather was African American and had married an East End girl.  Unfortunately for one reason or another, this story has fallen through.

 We are keen to add this personal element to the film and find descendants with stories and pictures of their ancestors.

 Would this be something that you could help with in any way?  Possibly put us in touch with such families or perhaps suggest someone who could?

 I would be grateful for any help you can offer and hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards

 Keira

 Keira Hutchison

Researcher

Lion Television

14 Royal Crescent

Glasgow

G3 7SL

T: 0141 331 4994

F: 0141 331 0451

E: [log in to unmask]

Kate-Louise Smith
Untold London Website Manager
London Museums Hub

West India Quay
London. E14 4AL
Tel: 020 7814 5782
Fax: 020 7600 1058
Email: [log in to unmask]
www.museumindocklands.org.uk

Journey to the New World - a new exhibition about the journey from London in 1606 to Jamestown, Virginia 1607. Admission to the exhibition is free. Open until 13 May 2007

Rum, Rations, Riots - discover how the world came to the East End at Museum in Docklands