Dear all,

Many thanks for all your replies, and the remarkably small number of
o-o-o announcements (only six).

I have collated all responses received to date, arranged them
alphabetically, and added the (anonymised) comments made by the people
who sent them in, where appropriate.  I haven't had time to look at all
of the sites yet, but I know that there are other people who would like
this information too, so I thought I might as well circulate the list
now.

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

Kind regards,

Susan Scott

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THE LIST

Ascent

www.ascentmedia.co.uk/

Black Cat Video

98 High Street

Potters Bar,

Herts EN6 5AT

(01707) 643 000.

www.blackcatvideo.com

Cameron Presentations

www.cameronpresentations.co.uk

"They're based in Glasgow but if you can send the material by courier
I'm sure they could be quite competitive."

Convert My Video

Brightec Ltd

23 Whiterock Place

Southwick

Brighton

East Sussex  BN42 4AG

0845 094 2151

www.convertmyvideo.co.uk

"I have used these people and they are very cheap, fast and reliable."

DUBBS

25 Poland St.

London W1.

(020) 7629 0055

"I have always found [them] most helpful."

Jessops (apparently)

The Machine Room

Wardour Street

London

(020) 7734 3433

http://www.themachineroom.co.uk/

"They do a decent job but are not cheap"

Memories on Video

24 York Gardens

Winterbourne

Bristol BS36 1QT

(01454) 772857

www.memoriesonvideo.co.uk <http://www.memoriesonvideo.co.uk/>

(This company were not recommended through responses to my list-enquiry,
but they advertised their services in ARC in August 2006)

Stanley Productions (the only company that had two recommendations)

147 Wardour Street
London W1F 8WD
(020) 7439 0311

www.stanleysonline.co.uk

"The cheapest place in town is Stanley Productions...They're
infallible."

TVP Archive

www.tvparchive.co.uk <http://www.tvparchive.co.uk/>

"The BBC film archive recommended a consultant called Simon Factor at
TVP Archive. He and his colleagues were extremely good! They were
helpful, efficient and the end results are great"

Videondvd.co.uk

www.videondvd.co.uk/

"This company... look good but I haven't tried them yet."

I was also sent  the publication Managing and Caring for Moving Image
collections produced by London's Screen Archives.  This has quite a lot
of generally useful information, and includes a short list of film and
video transfer companies on p13, accompanied by the disclaimer:

"The companies listed below have archival experience (although they are
in no way endorsed by London's Screen Archives)"

The list included:

Ascent;

The Machine Room;

Stanley Productions;

(see above)

and

Prestech Film Laboratories Limited

http://www.prestech.biz/

Soho Images
www.sohoimages.com
<http://www.4rfv.co.uk/countclicks.asp?frames=1&to=www.sohoimages.com&id
=7356&cat=46>

Cinesite

http://www.cinesite.co.uk/?170

East Anglian Film Archive (small gauges)

http://www.uea.ac.uk/eafa/

end

contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination
of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please erase all copies of the message and its
attachments and notify us immediately. Thank you.

  _____