Dear All,

Has the story presented in the link below got anything to do with archaeology?
< http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/2/hi/uk_news/6425675.stm >

I am not sure, but I have a dream that one day a team of archaeologists will
decide to dig in the Chagos islands in order to shed light on the past of the
people who lived there and were eventually so ruthlessly evicted. The least we
could do as a very partial compensation for their suffering is to show an
interest in their heritage and culture. Of course funding will be difficult to
get and access even more so. I wonder, however, whether those same
archaeologists who have been digging in Iraq, Kosovo or Bosnia in the names of
human rights - all places were funding tends to be lavishly available - will
show an equal ethical interest in working in regions where there will be strong
political interest to prevent research of any sort.

Cheers,
Umberto

--
Umberto Albarella
Department of Archaeology

"There is no way to peace. Peace IS the way".