You are probably referring to the following works:

Caliandro et al, Acta Cryst. D61 (2005) 556-565
and Caliandro et al, Acta Cryst. D61 (2005) 1080-1087

in which they used density modification to calculate phases for
unmeasured reflections, and used the phases to extend the resolution by
calculating rough estimates unmeasured amplitudes. Using this technique
they actually could improve the electron density.

If I'm not mistaken, George Sheldrick has implemented this "Free Lunch"
algorithm in SHELXE.

/Michel