At 03:01 PM 25/02/2007, Susan Peterson wrote:
Thanks Geoff for your positive reply.  Not sure if this will reach you but perhaps someone can forward.

It works Sue!

 I agree with your comments and particularly take on board your  suggestion that different subjects should not be competing with each other to 'be the best' but that we should be working together to share ideas etc and use creativity across the curriculum.

Imagine if our goal was to be the best we can be together? To recognize particular strengths but to also accept that some areas do things better than ours?

I was wrong to imply that the 'expressive arts' have a monopoly on this!.Touche!

The Arts can be our guide as I see it - we can learn from them because they don't impose limits on children - they encourage and delight in trying different things. Maybe my Art teaching days made me see this. Then my traditional technology teaching days made me recognize the powerful learning possibilities within something that was not seen that way. We are just the result of our experience but we can of course "get outside" if we want - it can be uncomfortable but it shows children that we are all learners - our discomfort may give comfort to them?

 We should all be working more collaboratively and this includes all on the lists.I have been concerned at the tone of some postings recently. I do not know the background so can't really comment but it does seems actually hostile rather than collaborative.

I always find it intriguing that we can do a great job at encouraging children to work together but some teachers have difficulty in doing the same with colleagues. Maybe we are so much and so often in the driver's seat in a classroom that we find it hard to give up the wheel?

Would like to share more ideas though I have little time at present and may not always be able to respond Thanks again Sue

I feel I understand the busy world - I am semi-retired (actually the word retired should be retired) I am on to a new stage of life but the bits I am doing now plus my memories can relate well to your situation.

Whenever! (as our son would say)

Geoff