Message
An opportunity for surveillance studies scholars here...

David.

 From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Mon 26/02/2007 10:09
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Young People, New Technologies and Political Engagement - deadline extension

Please note that the deadline for receipt of abstracts for the Young People, New Technologies and Political Engagement seminar has been extended until 9th March. In addition to our esteemed key speakers, we have received a variety of paper proposals from both academics and practitioners from around the world. However, in the interests of maximizing the opportunities for participation we would like to offer a few more days for anyone else considering submitting a proposal at this busy time of year.

Call for papers follows…

CALL FOR PAPERS

Young People, New Technologies and Political Engagement

University of Surrey, 24-25 July 2007

CONFIRMED KEYNOTE SPEAKERS:

Prof. Lance Bennett (Center for Communication and Civic Engagement, University of Washington)

Prof. Stephen Coleman (Institute of Communication Studies, University of Leeds)

Dr. Anita Harris (Centre for Critical and Cultural Studies, University of Queensland)

Further keynote speakers TBC

Against the backdrop of increasing concern about the disengagement of youth from politics and the public sphere, the relationship between new technologies and young people’s political engagement and participation is a cross-disciplinary issue of considerable importance not only to academics but to practitioners and policymakers across the world.

There is now a large body of literature which has explored the potential of ‘digital democracy’ to revitalise political life and challenge conventional forms of political participation. Separately, youth researchers have provided considerable insights into the way new technologies are influencing – and are themselves influenced by – the lives and identities of young people. Only recently, though, has significant research attention begun to focus upon the particular relationships – potential and actual – between new technologies and political engagement amongst the young.

This seminar intends to contribute to the development of research and theory in this crucial area by providing a forum for scholars from across the world to share the findings of empirical and theoretical work, discuss the policy implications of their research, and strengthen their international and inter-disciplinary ties. We aim to bring together leading figures in the subject area from across the globe as well as to offer a valuable international forum for emerging projects and individuals.

Proposals are therefore invited for papers focused upon any aspect of the relationship between young people, new technologies and political engagement. As well as encouraging contributions from a variety of academic disciplines and perspectives, we would particularly welcome papers from practitioners and policy-makers.

The event is organised by the British Sociological Association’s Youth Study Group in association with the University of Surrey’s Institute of Advanced Studies and The Social Policy Association.

We are able to offer up to six grants (of up to £200) to speakers travelling to the event from outside the UK. If you would like to be considered for such a grant, please make this clear when sending your abstract.

Please send abstracts (of up to 250 words) to Dr Rachel Brooks at the University of Surrey ([log in to unmask]) by 9 March 2007 at the latest. Please include full contact details with your proposal. For further information, please contact Dr Rachel Brooks or Dr Paul Hodkinson ([log in to unmask]).

Further information about the event will soon be available on the Institute for Advanced Studies website: http://www.soc.surrey.ac.uk/ias/

Paul.

Dr Paul Hodkinson

Lecturer in Sociology

University of Surrey

Guildford

Surrey

GU2 7XH

01483 683767

http://www.paulhodkinson.co.uk

**************************************************** This is a message from the SURVEILLANCE listserv for research and teaching in surveillance studies. To unsubscribe, please send the following message to <[log in to unmask]>: UNSUBSCRIBE SURVEILLANCE For further help, please visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help ****************************************************