From: SPM (Statistical Parametric Mapping) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Marko Wilke
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2007 03:07
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SPM] Bias field

Dear All,

I stumbled upon the following passage in the segmentation help text:

'A more accurate estimate of a bias field can be obtained by including prior
knowledge about the distribution of the fields likely to be encountered by
the correction algorithm.'

I wonder if this only refers to the amount of inhomogeneity (likely a
ballpark number) or it is it possible to, for example, use another
algorithms output as a more informed starting estimate. Alternatively, one
could take the bias field from a first iteration and feed that into a second
pass segmentation run. I realize this would take more time but for very
inhomogeneous data (surface coils, high-field etc.) it may result in an
improvement of tissue labeling.

So bottomline, my question is: Has anyone experimented with providing 3D
inhomogeneity estimates as starting parameters for the spm5 segmentation
algorithm?

Best,
Marko
Marko Wilke                                            (Dr.med./M.D.)

Universitäts-Kinderklinik              University Children's Hospital
Abt. III (Neuropädiatrie)             Dept. III (Pediatric neurology)
             Hoppe-Seyler-Str. 1, D - 72076 Tübingen
Tel.: (+49) 07071 29-83416                   Fax: (+49) 07071 29-5473