These are separate issues

rp*.txt is generated from the realignment process for the functional images. That file contains a
line for every image that was realigned, and 6 columns corresponding to the affine parameters. All
the parameters in the file have also been applied to the *.mat file associated with each image. The
file is simply a listing of the parameters defining the movements of each scan relative to the
first one. This information can be used in an analysis by as 6 covariates, in order to model
scan-to-scan movement related variance.

The normalization parameters in the *_sn.mat file, define how the functionals and the t1 (usually)
can be warped to a standardized space. This warping does not change from scan-to-scan and so is not
part of the statistical design. However, the goodness or badness of the warping can affect the
combining of subjects at the second level of analysis.

So you should always realign first and then if you want to, warp/normalize the data. Since the
parameters in the realignment are already part of the mat file for each image, the normalization
parameters are applied afterwards.

You would not normalize first then realign, else you would have to normalize each image separately
since they would not be aligned to each other.

hope this helps,
darren

==============Original message text===============