Hi Lynne,
          The TRANSIMS simulator is an extensible 'city-simulator' for scientific research (epidemiology, traffic, personal networks).. Maybe you can have a look at their alternatives for path decisions... I am not sure if someone has used TRANSIMS for communication issues, but that is something the guys at Los Alamos are probably aware of...
          Regards, Pablo.