Review and revision of the records management code of practice under FOIA s 46

Apologies for cross-posting but I want to be sure this email gets to as many people as possible.

Work is now getting under way to review and revise the code of practice on records management under section 46 of the FOI Act. this email is to tell you about this work and to solicit your views on the present text (which can be found at <http://www.foi.gov.uk/reference/imprep/codemanrec.pdf> ).

When the code was issued in November 2002 it was on the basis that it would be reviewed and, if necessary, revised five years after publication. Additional reasons for undertaking the review now are:

The intention is to update the present code, not to discard it and start again.  Although updating is needed, we believe the general thrust of the code remains sound.

Susan Healy will lead the review and revision and will take particular responsibility for part 1 (records management), while Stuart Abraham will take particular responsibility for part 2 (review and transfer of public records).

The review will be in three phases:

1       Review phase
We will solicit comments and suggestions from those subject to the code as to how it should be amended. We will analyse the returns so that your views and experience of applying the code can feed into the next phase.

2       Revision phase
We will revise both parts of the Code
3       Approval and issue phase
We will consult on and seek approval of the revised Code. This will include a public consultation exercise

The review phase is now underway and I would be most grateful if you could consider what comments and suggestions you wish to make on both part 1 and part 2. Please send your comments and suggestions to Susan Healy, preferably by email to [log in to unmask] . If you are unable to send them by email, please send them to me by post at The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey TW9 4DU. The deadline for responses is Friday 6 April.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Susan Healy
Information Policy Consultant
Public Sector Information Division
The National Archives
Tel 020 8392 5330 ext 2305
Email [log in to unmask]
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
www.opsi.gov.uk

National Archives Disclaimer

This email message (and attachments) may contain information that is confidential to The National Archives. If you are not the intended recipient you cannot use, distribute or copy the message or attachments. In such a case, please notify the sender by return email immediately and erase all copies of the message and attachments. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message and attachments that do not relate to the official business of The National Archives are neither given nor endorsed by it.