Hello,

I find myself in a tricky situation.  At present, we have 2 shared drives
(the J & P drives) and each member of staff has a personal area on the H
drive.

To discourage staff from storing work related information on their H drives
and to make sure they store it within the appropriate section on the J
drive, we adopted a policy about a year ago of no longer backing up the H
drives.

This has now posed a question, on the back of a major server melt-down,
where staff should store confidential personal information (i.e. appraisal
reports, reports relating to staff members etc) if they cannot be sure that
this information will be retained safely.

As a Records Manager, I believe the policy of not backing up personal
drives is sensible as I want to make sure corporate information is stored
in corporately accessible areas.  However, I understand the concerns of
staff if they feel they don't have a safe area to store work related
personal information.

Does anybody have any suggestions for a fair compromise?  Grateful for any
views.

Many thanks,

Jenny

Jenny Godfrey