Many thanks for this, and also the contribution of Jeff Evans.
Before I explore either, I just put my own thoughts down.

1)The claim by Kornbrot was given without any references. This is not the
scientific way.
By all means make claims, narrow or wide, but it surely is a responsibility
of the person making them to provide evidence.

2) Kornbrot's claim was very wide:
"Psychological research has consistently show that the correlation between
attitudes expressed in questionniares is, at best, very loosely correlated
with behaviour".

Now Polls/questionnaires on voter intentions, taken some time before
elections, even fairly close to the date, may not always give a good
indication of outcome, indeed I can vaguely remember occasions when this was
indeed true, and of course political party canvassing is carried out under
the assumption that poll results may not necessarily translate into actual
voting . Further, such polls I would think make up a significant proportion
of the total number of polls made. It might therefore be true, taking all
polls, that the correlation is not very good.

Whether that be so or not, clearly there are different categories of polls,
of which voter intention is one example. And intuitively, one might expect a
good correlation with actual outcome in some types of polls, and a less good
or even poor correlation with other types of poll.

So I am not expecting to find some universal 'psychological failing' that
ensures that generally speaking, peoples intentions do not translate into
the corresponding action. But I'll try to keep an open mind.

That being said, I will tomorrow follow up on your link and the  reference
kindly given by Jeff Evans.

Many thanks,

John Barker

I'll follow up if the  serious internet connection problems  besetting me at
the moment allow.