----- Original Message ----
From: Rev Je Kan Adler-Collins <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, 20 February, 2007 2:12:24 AM
Subject: Re: Research based practice

To extract concerns me as to do so can
often distort, but it would make for an enormously long email to paste all the
different postings in their entirety that I am trying to ‘hold’. Can I ask
anyone who reads this to be aware that I am thinking in the context of all of
the postings in this thread by Maggie, Jack, Jean, Je Kan, Bernie, Donal and Pip. I am also very aware that to extract pieces of text can significantly and inadvertently change or distort the orginal intention; my apologies to those I quote where I have done so, and I hope they feel I have honoured and not violated what they offered.

As I read I am
thinking very particularly of

Jack Whitehead 18 February, 2007 1:07:39 PM

…How
does this sound - to be world leading as distinct from internationally
recognised or internationally excellent, the  practitioner
knowledge-creator must explain their systemic influence  in an
organisation in a way that forms and sustains a culture
of  educational enquiry and that supports individual practitioners
in  generating and testing their own living theories?

… my emerging understands of the idea of inclusionality as a relationally dynamic awareness of space and
boundaries that is connective, reflective and co-creative (Alan Rayner)

… and the
thoughts that Je Kan has provoked by his posting about the nature of the spaces
that world class educators create (intra and inter – thank you Pete for this
plum) and his description (describing but not defining – thank you Alan) of the
movement of spaces and boundaries as his living theory (thanks Jack) transforms
and transmutes (thank you Jean) into a thesis of doctoral quality in his last
posting in response to Bernie.

These postings are helping me think and explore a little more the nature of different spaces
and boundaries. I do not accept that everything is acceptable in all spaces and
there are no boundaries. I see boundaries as Alan described; a picture encompasses the
frame (apologies if I have misunderstood or mis quoted); while accepting the
frame/boundary is not fixed, rigid and impermeable but living and its permeability
changes in response to the spaces surrounding it, and of which it is a part.

So for me in
the space for thought I have created for myself between Je Kan’s postings (I
have put the ‘extractions’ below) and Jack’s (above) I am finding thoughts of
dynamic connections between spaces within myself, those that are local to me
and variously ‘professional’ and ‘personal’, and those that move to
progressively less local places of  doctorates,
institutional and organisational influence, world leading and internationally
recognised work…The boundaries I am seeing are not fixed but they do exist and without
which the space/s could not exist but I want to understand them as places of meeting not disconnection. There are different ways of behaving in
those different spaces and at those boundaries that can be experienced as excluding but I find an expression
of one person’s freedom can be experienced as an imposition by another. The
commonality for me is where Je Kan says ‘…certain qualities that are beyond race, culture or
creed.  It is these qualities that offer hope for humanity.’ So
for me there is a ‘sameness’ about the spaces and boundaries that embrace a
child in the classroom, a doctorate being submitted and examined, world leading
and internationally recognised work. But at the same time while not trying to
define them and force them irreconcilably apart I do recognise there is a
distinction between them.

So to
reconnect with Jack’s question (and I hope you have to scroll up to find it and
down to connect with Je Kan’s thoughts) – Jack - it sounds very good to me and I
am wondering if my meanderings help or confuse.
I hope this adds a smile not a frown to your day

Marie

Quoting  Rev Je Kan Adler-Collins

  Tuesday, 20 February, 2007 2:12:24 AM

Bernie, a great
question:  you  wrote: Among these values are honesty,

inclusionality, tolerance, an ethic of care and consciousness of the

other. Are these some of the core values informing the standards of

discernment for the assessment of your thesis, Je Kan?

…I can move into and out of the claims of others as they inform my ignorance

by raising more questions. And so extend
the boundaries of my

consciousness.  I am using the words fluid state of tension

deliberately as I wish to convey the meaning that while I seek to live

these values in their praxis, I also need them to be fluidly dynamic in

the sense …

… The work of my thesis is the
emergence of these values over time expressed in a living

narrative grounded in…

… While my thesis is a heuristic living action research account, it is also a rigorous
research account….

 Rev Je Kan Adler-Collins

 7 January, 2007 2:53:10 AM

... I feel
that what seems to a universal

attribute, perhaps a value, is that most of the “world class” educators

I know share certain qualities that are beyond race, culture or
creed.

It is these qualities that offer hope for humanity.  I believe that

they are space creators and they set about doing three major things:

Firstly, They create spaces for learning that are built on the firm

conviction of compassion, love and tolerance.  Great educators that I

know… All go out of their way to avoid any violation of

the other, not in the complexity of word webs woven with double

meanings but the shining brilliance of lived values in praxis. This

space creation is such a gift as it is the building block of a safe

space.  What do I mean by safe space? Well, tough question, as

educational spaces are such complex things often being shaped by

external conditions and power relationships. I feel that the inner

space as it were, the classroom  or learning space that the teacher

holds in making contact with their students, has to be safe. Safe

enough to embrace the learning needs and vulnerabilities of the

students, strong enough and compassionate enough to hold fluid

boundaries that stop the space from being a therapeutic space alone and

keep it focused on the learning tasks at hand.

This brings me to the second skill these educators show and that is of

holding the space. In Buddhist thinking we create a space by making its

form, this is because all space is connected, the form is the causal or

mental construction of visualizing the object. We also teach that

lighting a candle in the dark attracts the moths!. So holding a space

is a discipline that prevents others moving in to take over the space

already created. Alan talks of the vamparic, I also suggest the cuckoo

and energy that it not what it seems, invades spaces and then ejects

all that was original from the space and replaces it with its own

image. Great educators hold their space in service to others by the

lived expression of their values.

The third thing they do is clean the space, by clean I mean they create

a space that is positively neutral…