From: Margaret Farren <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, 17 February, 2007 6:58:36 PM
Subject: Research based practice

Hi Jack and All,

This morning I presented at the Computer Education Society of Ireland (CESI)
conference with three of the teachers on the M.Sc eLearning programme at
Dublin City University.  A copy of our presentation is attached. I have also
video recorded the session and will have a look at the video over next few
days. I wanted to communicate to the audience how I have generated my living
educational theory of practice for my PhD research and to provide the space
at this Conference for teachers on the masters programme to show how they
are developing their theories of practice through masters research.  Jack,
as my PhD supervisor, I remember presenting you with a list of my values
during my PhD research and I do remember your response ..... in a living
educational theory approach the meanings of the living standards are expressed,
not as concise definitions, but as clearly communicated meanings that emerge
from enquiries of the kind, 'how do I improve what I am doing?'. The attached
presentation has a link to my PhD research and you will see how the values
in my pedagogy of the unique emerged through a commitment to a web of betweenness.
It is through this process of clarifying the values in the course of their
emergence in practice that transform them into living epistemological standards
of judgement. The following article on the European Commission website at
http://www.elearningeuropa.info/index.php?page=doc&doc_id=7020&doclng=6
  refers to how in my practice-based research, I demonstrate how I am contributing
to a knowledge base of practice by creating my ?living educational theory?.
I have tried to explain succinctly in this article.

The presentation this morning provided the space for Donal, Teresa and Joanne
to present their research based practice to a wider audience.

Kind Regards.

Margaret