If not object, what are we? Are we made purely of our senses? IE – if we discover other “sense” are we something different?

I am in a post doctoral heaven/oblivion, so please forgive me if my interests seem ... Difficult to schedule

Warmest, Susie

On 3/2/07 8:23 PM, "A.D.M.Rayner" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: ted lumley <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
To: 'A.D.M.Rayner' <mailto:[log in to unmask]>  ; 'BERA Practitioner-Researcher' <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Cc: [log in to unmask] ; 'Steve Taylor' <mailto:[log in to unmask]>  ; 'Mushin' <mailto:[log in to unmask]>  ; 'paul murray' <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 02 February 2007 22:25
Subject: RE: "Feel that I know"

hi alan, susie,

susie, my hunch is the same as yours;

My hunch is that we depend too much on "seeing" which has the cognitive result of turning everything into an object and distancing us the observer unless we make a big effort to do otherwise. Other felt senses of knowing, like feeling knowing, could mean that we have a very different construction of self and our orientation in the organic world.

many people (most of us?), if you ask them (if we ask ourselves) ‘are we fully responsible for our own behaviour?’  will respond ‘yes’.   and, indeed, our western sense of justice is founded on the individual being fully responsible for ‘his/her own behaviour’.

but what if i pose this question to someone who makes laminate flooring.   he may respond ‘yes’, that he is full control of his own behaviour.

but what is he ‘thinking’ of in terms of ‘his behaviour’?   he is likely thinking of all the actions that he internally authors, drives and directs, ... whether this inner sourcing is by his biogenetics, biochemistry, biophysics or by the structure and processes of his individual psyche.  that is, he thinks of his actions in terms of bringing together certain inputs, transforming them and outputting them as products together with some unneeded effluents.   that is, he thinks of himself in terms of a ‘productive machine’, as someone who ‘gets things done’ and whose behaviour is internally authored, driven and directed.

but does he really understand ‘his own actions/behaviours’?   laminate flooring contains flame retardants, and flame retardants are concentrating in our bodies and they are toxins at some level of concentration (this is hard to assess).   so, one aspect of his behaviour that he does not normally include, because it is not included in a simple input-transform-output individual-self-as-machine model, is his relationship with the dynamical space he is included in.   evidently, there is a continuing flow-through of gases, liquids and material substance, by way of his breathing, drinking, eating (transforming) and expelling of gases, liquids and material substance.

he is thus included in this flow; i.e. he is included within a dynamical flowspace.

our normal model of our ‘self’ ignores our inclusion in a dynamical hosting flowspace.  it starts with what we use, and ends with what we produce, ... and the reservoir from which we take and into which we put, is assumed to be absolutely separate (mutually excluded) from our sovereign existence and independent internally authored, driven and directed behaviour.  that’s how we have come to consume locally at a greater-than-naturally sustainable rate, and when we locally over-graze or deplete/pollute the local water supply (or petroleum supplies) etc., we (with the most locally non-sustaining social dynamics) are ‘forced to’ extend the range of our acquisition of resources to sustain our rate of consumption.    ‘sustainability’ thus refers to sustaining our social dynamic in the manner to which we have become accustomed.

this machine model, by which we believe we are responsible for our own behaviour, and therefore, that we understand our own behaviour, thus ‘twists off’ from the reality of natural limits to sustainability.

what does it mean to say that we are responsible for our own behaviour if we do not understand our own behaviour?  if we ‘know not what we do’?

the man in the cart on the way to the guillotine also maintains that ‘he possesses free will’ and that he is in control of his own behaviour and he can get up and dance a jig and sing a song of his choosing any time he chooses to.   but this view of ‘his behaviour’ does not take into account that he is included within an evolutionary flow that is beyond his control.   thus, his understanding of ‘his behaviour’ is this ‘machine’ type understanding, as is the case with the laminate floor maker.  it is a gross over-simplification (with a good deal of utility as long as we do not forget that it is gross over-simplification) that occludes our intuitive, feeling-experience based understanding of being included within a spatial-relational evolutionary flow-dynamic.

so, so long as we continue to think of our behaviour in terms of ‘machine behaviour’ that is disjoint from the dynamical space we are included in, we shall be sourcing dysfunction since ‘what we think we are doing’ is radically incomplete by its ignoring of the interdependence between our individual behaviour and the dynamic of the hostspace we are included in (bohm calls this ‘gap’ in understanding ‘incoherence’).

ciaoforniao,

ted