Hi all, especially Margarida

Good point, Margarida.  To be fair to Sue (my chief examiner) I am inclined
to get up on soapboxes!  So perhaps there was too much 'soapbox' included in
populist language, and insufficient 'simple language embracing complexity'
when Sue gave me that feedback.

In the light of the discussion since on the list, I really endorse the need
to take calm breaths and consider the feedback one's supervisors give one
about what standards need to be evident in a piece of work (even if you want
to wring their necks at the time you receive the feedback!)  Also important,
I believe, is the history of the supervisor/s.  As I said, Sue has never had
a thesis 'bounced', but it's probably because she is SO insistent that the
candidate produces their best work - even if that work goes way beyond what
the candidate felt they could do at the time - and won't allow submission
for examination until it reaches that point.  In New Zealand, the candidate
can submit against supervisor advice, but Sue, who's been on the Higher
Degrees committee for ages, said she's never seen one achieve success when
submitted like that.

So, all the best to those of you who are still working towards your PhDs.
The success is worth the struggle I believe.  I felt a bit like my
compatriot Sir Edmund Hillary who, on reaching the top of Mt Everest, said,
"We knocked the bastard off!"  And congratulations to the recent PhD
achievers, hope you feel great satisfaction.  We owe thanks to our own
supervisors and the friends/family who support us through the process.

Kind regards

Pip

  _____