I agree, Pierre, & can take him along with the others I might Love
more; & the Perloff essay is very useful in thinking this all through,
yeah.

And there are aspects (or sections) of The Wasteland that just stick in
the mind...

But there are times when one does think about the person, not just the
poet. Still . . .

Doug
On 23-Feb-07, at 11:39 AM, Pierre Joris wrote:

> All the nasty stuff is true: anti-semite royalist fascist neurotic
> tight-ass Brit who as WCW said did put US poetry back 1/2 century, and
> yet, there isn't any way around  Mr. Pruf and the Waste land, and I do
> agree with most of the points in Perloff's more recent essay on
> Eliot's early work as truly constructivist avant-garde, until the end
> of WWI, the death of his lover, and the general collapse of the West
> sent him to Barclays Bank & the Church of England. —
Douglas Barbour
11655 - 72 Avenue NW
Edmonton  Ab  T6G 0B9
(780) 436 3320
http://www.ualberta.ca/~dbarbour/

Latest book: Continuations (with Sheila E Murphy)
http://www.uap.ualberta.ca/UAP.asp?LID=41&bookID=664

Some speak of a return to nature --
I wonder where they could have been?

	Frederick Sommer