Jon Corelis wrote:
> Dream Song 153

Looking at a birthday, yet another, in 7 minutes, it is time for the
annual stock-taking.  Alas, the market is not trading.  There is
Berryman again, mordant-comic, Song 29 building to that scary pre-dawn
finish:

    There sat down, once, a thing on Henry's heart
    só heavy, if he had a hundred years
    & more, & weeping, sleepless, in all them time
    Henry could not make good.
    Starts again always in Henry's ears
    the little cough somewhere, an odour, a chime.

    And there is another thing he has in mind
    like a grave Sienese face a thousand years
    would fail to blur the still profiled reproach of. Ghastly,
    with open eyes, he attends, blind.
    All the bells say: too late. This is not for tears;
    thinking.

    But never did Henry, as he thought he did,
    end anyone and hacks her body up
    and hide the pieces, where they may be found.
    He knows: he went over everyone, & nobody's missing.
    Often he reckons, in the dawn, them up.
    Nobody is ever missing.

Ken Wolman					rainermaria.typepad.com

"For the thing which I greatly feared is come upon me, and that which I
was afraid of is come unto me.  I was not in safety, neither had I
rest, neither was I quiet; yet trouble came."