The Melbourne daily tabloid, The HeraldSun

heraldsun.com.au

has reached number 11 in a many-part series on
THE GREATEST
I saved my $1.10 for ten days, not caring enough about
stage and screen stars
singers and musicians
inventors
etc
but part 11 is
WRITERS & THINKERS
covered in 15 glossy pages
When you go online there is a quiz, which I hope to win an iPod for.
And:

Vote Now!
As well as a breathtaking and inspired use of language, the great writer has
broad appeal, an ability to stand the test of time and be able to produce a
considerable body of work that readers return to again and again. And great
thinkers lay foundations for the way we see ourselves and our place in the
world.
Of those below, who do you think is the greatest?
Add your vote!

William Shakespeare
Dante Alighieri
Charles Dickens
J.K.Rowling
Jane Austen
Leo Tolstoy
Mark Twain
George Eliot
Mary Wollstonecraft
Simone de Beauvoir
A.D. Hope
Peter Carey
Patrick White
Rene Descartes
Immanuel Kant
Sigmund Freud
Confucius
Plato
Socrates
Other

Presumably we will learn in due course that Rowling outscores the lot...
Not all of their Greatest are listed on the voting boxes here.
Christine de Pizan shares the page with Wollstonecraft et al.
The Australians Christina Stead, Henry Lawson, and Banjo Paterson ('captured the
heart of the nation') appear on p. 8.
Homer ('works known for their rapidity'), Aristotle, Edward de Bono, Karl Marx,
Niccolo Machiavelli, and Peter Singer also figure.

This email was sent from Netspace Webmail: http://www.netspace.net.au