Nearly Wednesday.
This is not at all what I set out to write!
And the ending in particular is crap.
But the Muse has flown and I want to go to bed now. Goodnight!

Janet

----------

Famous

When I was 17 a palm-reader told me,
"you're going to be famous", but
it hasn't happened. Yet
I can hardly go anywhere without
meeting some person who knows me

and when I recite my poems at readings
in a dramatic black outfit
some people act
like fans, waiting for a tidbit,
a chapbook autographed, saying kind things.

In a dream I visit the main residence
of a man famous as any president
(he is, indeed, a poet,
but he is not famous for that)
and his famous wife, sleek and gracious.

She greets me politely. I tell her my name
and am suddenly aware of the state
of my clothes: the ragged t-shirt
and stained jeans in which I'd slept
under a tree, in the rain, earlier in the dream.

I hope she forgets me, but people rarely do.
But no-one will ever forget
her. The poor woman can't
just sleep out on the street
in old clothes, the way poets do.

                   A first draft by Janet Jackson
                   Tue Feb 13 22:45:19 WST 2007

Janet Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Poems at Proximity:
http://www.proximity.webhop.net

The choice is between nonviolence and nonexistence.
                                 Martin Luther King Jr.