Because of the thoroughgoing weirdness of American puritanism the US
version of the Brompton Cocktail, a mixture of drugs for the
alleviation of pain in patients within days of death, is made with
morphine, not heroine, as everywhere else, because morphine is less
addictive. Wouldn't want addicts crossing over into the better place,
I guess. Problem is, it doesn't work as well. The drug companies
don't care--they make the same profits either way.

Mark