Gunnar,

The answer to your first question is yes, the MA that
is offered can be considered a truncated version of
the MFA. The thesis I speak of is only done by MFA
candidates.

The MFA at SCAD would not be considered a research
degree by any true researchers, it would be considered
a component of final work that has both visual and
written material. Having said that, several members of
the faculty who have come from a more research based
environment are attempting to elevate the thesis to a
level higher than that of a glorified paper, hence my
questions.

yrs,

Patrick

> Date:    Fri, 16 Feb 2007 16:31:06 +0000
> From:    Patrick Hogan <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: what is a masters thesis?
>
> Distinguished collegues,
>
> Our faculty is currently in discussion on the topic
> of the length and dep=
> th
> of a masters level thesis. My personal belief is the
> paper can/should be =
> at
> the 10,000-20,000 word level, with all proper
> citations, et al.
> I'm interested in your thoughts on this subject,
> what should be it's leng=
> th
> and breadth, perhaps how it contrasts with the
> doctoral dissertation, and=
>  if
> possible, how you would consider it within a graphic
> design curriculum. A=
> ny
> supporting documents or research would be greatly
> appreciated.
> Offlist, or in this venue is fine,
>
> Patrick Hogan
> Savannah College of Art and Design
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Fri, 16 Feb 2007 11:58:52 -0500
> From:    "Swanson, Gunnar" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: what is a masters thesis?
>
> Patrick,
>
> Are you talking about an MFA (i.e., studio) degree
> or a research degree? =
> Is the SCAD MA degree like most US art programs--a
> truncated or lesser =
> version of the MFA--or is it a separate
> research-based program?
>
> Gunnar