I see de-emphasizing conferences as a very bad idea.  I find conferences
FAR more stimulating from a research perspective than just reading
journal papers.

A conference is, at its best, collaborative - two-way communications.  A
journal paper, no matter how good, is just a one-way communication.

On the other hand, if the writing is on the wall, then we must learn to
adapt.  Perhaps virtual meetings?  The web is still a weak replacement
for a face to face meeting, but its better than nothing at all.

We should also push for 'open access' and 'open review' journals,
because they can provide alternative means for communications.  Again,
imperfect, but better than nothing.

Cheers.
Fil

--
Filippo A. Salustri, Ph.D., P.Eng.
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering