Swanson, Gunnar wrote:
> Chris tells us that "a Masters degree with an ambitious main project . . . is a very good incubator for future Doctoral students" but the masters degree being discussed here--an MFA--is not a way stop on the way to the "real" degree. It is the terminal studio degree in the US.
>
> It is great if any experience leads to new vistas but are you advocating forming the major degree requirements around hopes that someone would like to take another direction? Should JD and MD degrees be reworked in hopes that lawyers and physicians will become criminology and physiology researchers?
Hi Gunnar,
I'm tempted to say yes. In fact I would give a qualified yes - if we
don't hold open the option that our best students may encounter new
opportunities in their studies, and allow for more than one outcome to a
degree, we are failing them and failing our professions. The fact that
students first become aware of research during Masters study indicates
that we have to enable them to go further as researchers if they wish.
Many of the best design research students that I work with all started
MA study with the intention of advancing their professional skills but
saw new opportunities in research before they finished their MA, I don't
apologise for the fact that some of them have gained doctorates and jobs
in universities as a result of owning significant new knowledge.

But the proper answer is that this is an international forum and it is
concerned first with doctoral study and research. I answered the
question asked with an account of my own experience and issues that I
feel are relevant to Masters study in the UK. Others can use that
information as they wish. However the guidance I quoted from Phil Agre
is coming from a US position and the fact that it seems to dovetail with
my understanding of progressive practice in my country seems to be
interesting. Maybe I'm lucky to be in a country where academic
structures are quite fluid so we can re-invent ourselves, and it has
been said before that the UK is good at developing new approaches but
may suffer from a loss of quality control at the margins whereas the US
is very well-controlled but maybe, as a result, slow in validating new
academic programs.

We've had a discussion recently on this list about programs in the US
(and elsewhere I am sure) which do not encourage an enquiring or
critical approach to Graphic Design. It seems to me that a more
integrated approach that encouraged students to engage with the kind of
critical thinking we expect from researchers would not do any harm at
all. If you want an example of how things could be different, I have
been impressed by the way that Frank Cronk, Jill Dacey, Colleen Taugher
and their colleagues at University of Idaho have developed an approach
to interpreting scientific data that started as a new work opportunity
for graphic design graduates and went on to become a genuine partnership
between designers and scientists in understanding and interpreting the
data that scientists were producing.

best wishes from Sheffield
Chris

Professor Chris Rust