Excellent Chrissie: planning the evaluation before you start is the way
to go.

So, your big question will be "How do I know that my intervention has
had the effect intended?" and even if, empirically, you note a move in
the desired direction "How do I know that my intervention was
responsible?".

Part of the answer is some before and after assessment (other than your
sickness absence numbers).

Without turning this email into the workshops I give on evaluation of
interventions, please consider a number of types of evaluation,
especially the more unstructured process evaluation and the assessment
of unintended effects.  Try to use some theoretical evaluation or in the
words of Pawson and Tilley (1997), find out "what works for whom in what
circumstances".

As to the actual items that you might put into a Q.aire (I suspect that
is what you are after), beware of 'off the shelf' Q.aires and Q.aire
items.  Tthe best thing to do is to speak to people now and develop your
items in order to operationalise issues within, relevant to, and in the
langauge of your own organisation.

Good luck,

Kevin

*Pawson R. and Tilley N., 1997, Realistic Evaluation, London, Sage
Publications Limited

Kevin MAGUIRE MSc BSc BA CPsychol MCIEH, Senior Lecturer, Division of
Criminology, Public Health and Policy Studies, School of Social
Sciences, Nottingham Trent University, Burton Street, Nottingham, NG1
4BU. UK.  Telephone ++ 44 (0) 115 848 5540