Dear List, I would greatly value your opinion on a tricky subject.
One of our employees, has been diagnosed with epilepsy. She is controlled on medication, but is a very poor historian, cannot remember what meds she is on and has forgotten to bring in the box or prescription several times for OH to see the type of meds. She has returned to work but states that her GP has advised her not to work with machinery.
We are part of the textile industry and make quilts and pillows, so a lot of machinery is in operation, although it is not manually operated. The duties she will be required to undertake have been risk assessed, and she has been asked to work with an automated machine which pushes wadding through into a pillow case. She will be on the receiving end, ie she places the pillow case onto the 'nozzle' and the wadding is 'blown' into it.  She will be part of a  small team, and if she has any incidents, the machinery will push her away into a safe area, as opposed to pulling her in. there are no external moving parts, just the air blowing through. No night working, full day shift with a phased return to work, as she has been off   8months so far.
She has stated she is unable to undertake this as it includes working with machinery, and has declined permission to contact her GP to see exactly what advice has been given.
I know this is long winded, but does anyone have any advice or options out there at all. Is the company wrong to consider her working in such an area, despite the risk assessment??
Any answers gratefully received
Ellie