Hi list

I certainly don't want to interrupt the current thread on value for
money, so please feel free to continue that discussion, but as it is
the first of the month, it is our humble duty to introduce a discussion
theme.

For February 2007 we're turning the CRUMB list into an informal virtual
book club. We'd like to know what you've read (as relevant to new media
art history/curating/production/presentation) and if it was worth the
trees it was printed on (just kidding - there's that question of value
again).

We welcome your informal off-the-cuff book reviews as well as book
recommendations, and hearing what was the best book you were given for
Christmas - in my case it was "How to do just about everything"*
because it is a mindless escape of a book.

As Beryl and I put the finishing touches on a book we've been writing
about curating new media art, we'll post first the table of contents
and then the introduction here - to show the structure and to get
feedback. Depending on response (if you're interested or not) we may
also forward other chapters for review (likely to be March rather than
February). We wanted to thank those of you we have corresponded with
though the writing so far -- you've all said some very smart things in
the six years we've been online! (To be fair, we don't mind you being a
little self-promotional about your own book, so long as you tell us
what you learned when writing it.)

My first recommendation to CRUMB reader are the interviews on the new
Electronic Arts Intermix Resource Guide to the exhibition, collection
and preservation of single-channel video, computer-based arts, and
digital-installation-based arts (http://resourceguide.eai.org) - and
they're not even printed on trees. You'll find a case study of CRUMB
there too, and an interview with Beryl and I:
http://resourceguide.eai.org/exhibition/computer/casestudy_crumb.html

So what do you recommend we read on these dark winter nights?
Failing that, do carry on as before.

Sarah

* "How to do just about everything" gives this advice for using online
forums:
"3. begin my reading the 'posts' (messages) and follow the current
'threads' (comments related to a single topic) for several days. see if
the group has an FAQ (frequently asked questions) docment. 4. write a
post of your own. be prepared for a mixed response. 5. explain yourself
if someone takes exception to your comments, but do not get into a
heated argument via posts. 6. determine whether your forum companions
get together for online chat sessions. join in if they do. 7. send
e-mail to your new friends and develop new relationships."

Dr. Sarah Cook
CRUMB - the resource for curators of new media art
http://www.crumbweb.org
School of Arts, Design, Media and Culture
University of Sunderland