From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Sarah Corlett
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 11:49 AM
Subject: tackling health inequality - promoting equality: what's the difference?

Greetings
Sorry for multiple postings but I am trying to put together some ideas
in a short accessible/ practical briefing or Q&A on the differences and
similarities between concepts and action around tackling health
inequalities and promoting equality to help both policy and NHS people
get their heads round the questions and wondered if people had thoughts.

Essentially I come across some confusion amongst some of my public
health (and other) colleagues in PCTs and in policy development, who as
far as I can tell (but I am probably being a bit simplistic) tend to
think that what they do to tackle health inequalities has the objective
of achieving equality (or equity... another whole discussion point) and
therefore they are unclear how promoting equality is diferent and what
the various equality duties mean for them in addition to what they do
already.

I am sure one aspect is that it is unusual as far as I can see (apart
from honourable exceptions such as James Nazroo and colleagues) for the
influence of discrimination on health to be examined rigorously.  People
do study barriers to accessing health services but do not seem as part
of that to consider for instance cultural stereotyping by staff and
things like lack of interpreting services are not seen as discriminatory
let alone institutionally racist.  In fact I think probably what
discrimination actually is may be difficult for (public health) people
to pin down and I think some people in the NHS think that we are all so
nice and we treat everyone equally (hah!) so what's it got to do with
us?

One example of the confusion (but this time seeing the agendas as
entirely separate) in our PCT public health has been asked to lead on
the development of an equity strategy and HR have got the lead for a
single equality scheme but apparently little senior level discussion
about possible synergy.

I also actually do have in my sights policy development at a higher
level (yes, Dept Health) and would like to answer questions such as
"doesn't the Choosing Health white paper do that (promote equality)?"
and "what does the equality agenda have to do with us (PH policy
people)?"

Sooo after this longwinded introduction does anyone understand what I
am talking about and want to put their oar in/ direct me to useful work?
 Needless to say I will share what I come up with and ensure that the
experience and knowledge of this e-group is reflected and acknowledged
in what I produce and of course people will be able to use and adapt it
for their own purposes.

Thanks very much!
Sarah

Sarah Corlett
Consultant in Public Health
Lambeth Primary Care Trust
1 Lower Marsh
London, SE1 7NT
Tel: 020 7716 7097
em: [log in to unmask]

Lambeth Primary Care Trust will be smokefree from 30 December 2005.
To protect the health of patients, staff and visitors, smoking will not
be allowed in Trust buildings or grounds.
For advice and support on giving up, contact Lambeth Stop Smoking
Service on 0800 856 3409 or [log in to unmask]