A "third party translator acting as an interviewer" is an interviewer. That
interviewer may not be as well-trained as others, and that poses its own
challenges, but that person has become an interviewer.

I have written a chapter on using interpreters in my 2005 book: Child Abuse
& Culture: Working with Diverse Families (New York: Guilford). Although it's
not about qualitative interviews for research per se, it is about
interviewing through interpreters on sensitive topics. I have also written 4
articles on conducting cross-cultural research which I have already cited on
this list. Unfortunately there's not a lot available on this interesting
topic.

I hope you will share your findings with the list-serve. I'd love to hear
more about the challenges of your study around these issues.

Lisa Fontes, Ph.D.

Union Institute & University