From: mining-history [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Bob & Annette Orchard
Sent: 15 February 2007 06:16
Subject: Re: Steam Winding Engine at Geevor Tin Mine

The Victory shaft steam winder was regularly used for changing the
winding ropes on the BTH Electric winder up until the closure of the
mine. It was also used for lowering pipes / cables etc into the Victory
shaft services compartment / ladder way.

A further point of interest is that the drums of the steam winder had
started to get "crushed" by the winding ropes, & had to be strengthened
towards the end of its regular hoisting life.

The steam winder was faster than the BTH electric winder, & would also
accelerate faster.

The steam winder last ran on compressed air at the end of 1991 (even
thought the mine was not supposed to be starting any large motors such
as air compressors etc).......But I started  up one of the Alley &
McClellan compressors just to have the satisfaction of having the last
drive.

Just as a matter of interest I started that same compressor in March
1996 & gave the mine whistle a good blow...........before leaving for
New Zealand.

Regards, Bob Orchard.